Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chris' Colloquium

This week's testimony comes from our very own Chris E.  Chris volunteers in our Bible Trek room during the 9:30 service on Sundays.  He leads our Kindergarten boys' group during that service and he also has started teaching lessons.  Please note that any children's names have been changed to protect the privacy of our little Bible Trekkers.


“I have a great idea”. I have said these words often, generally to the dismay of either my
boss, or my patient wife.

A year and a half ago, as a “baby Christian”, I had a great idea. I wanted to learn
more about what was in the Bible and what it meant. At times it can be difficult to
read, understand, and sort through. Adult Bible studies, with folks that have studied the
Bible for many years, can be intimidating. I had heard a lot of the stories; Jonah and the
Whale, Adam and Eve, Moses, The birth of Christ, and had a general understanding of
them, but I wanted to know what they really meant.

I needed to study the Bible more. Not on a 37 year old, husband, working professional,
and father of 4, level of study. I needed to study the Bible at a 4th grade or lower level.
I needed Bible Trek to teach me about the bible. I needed to get in the door and let God
work on me a little.

So my great idea, wife approved, was to volunteer as a coach in Bible Trek. Being a
coach has encouraged me to study the Bible, just a little more, and in a way to teach
the lessons at a basic level to the children of Northgate; a basic level for children to
understand, and for me to comprehend and digest.

I have been a “coach” (small group of 3-6 children) to 3rd grade, and kindergarten boys.
The lessons are well planned by the staff, and easy to teach to the children. The time
commitment is minimal. I have taught 2 group lessons to the entire class, K-4th grade
boys and girls. This required a little more preparation, but this was completely voluntary,
and is not required by any volunteer at Bible Trek.

In my time with the Bible Trek program I have gained a deeper level of understanding of
the Bible. I have noticed the natural pull that children have towards the Holy Spirit and
the Bible. And not only in Bible Trek, but also in my job as a Police Officer, as I interact
with children, often in the midst of crisis. I have seen children and adults in terrible
situations “light up” when I talk to them about Jesus.

If we, as Christians, do not teach our children what is expected of them, then the world
will. I encourage you to learn a little more about the Bible Trek program at Northgate. If
you would like to help, then volunteer, you will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment